A great cardio workout that feels more like a dance party.
- Burn calories and lose weight
- Tone your entire body
- Social and fun atmosphere
- Learn new dance moves
- Relieve stress
- Improve coordination
- Fun for any fitness level
If you don’t have access to a live Zumba class or your schedule isn’t compatible, there are some free online Zumba routines.
- Let Loose: Zumba is all about having fun and joining the party, which is hard to do if you’re stiff or self-conscious. The best way to optimize your workout is to let go, have fun, and try not to think too much.
- Maximize Arm Movement. During the moves, be sure to fully extend your arms, which boosts your energy expenditure and engages more muscles. “It’s not that tricky and you can do a lot for your body by lengthening, raising, and extending with oomph,” Boyer says.
- Move Up and Down More. When your instructor takes you through a “level change,” try it out. All that up and down movement will not only boost your burn, it will also get your glutes, hips, and thigh muscles firing even more. Sit into your moves, bend your knees, and move in as many dimensions as you can.
- Work Your Body. Boyer says, “There’s always a lot of booty shaking in Zumba! Just shake it—and shake it good!” Pressing through your heels as often as possible helps maximize those glute benefits.
- Rock the Moves You Know. It’s okay if you haven’t mastered every move—just use the ones you’ve got. If you love the salsa step or the shimmy, make the most of it! Feel free to add your own flair to the movements, and you’ll pick up other moves over time.